May Connect: Homecoming
CELEBRATING 81 YEARS OF GOD’S BLESSINGS
Homecoming May 3, 2020
This will be our first Homecoming to celebrate only online but we do have a Homecoming keepsake bookmarker & ink pen for everyone that will be mailed out this week.
The History of Gospel Baptist Church
On Feb. 18, 1939 a group of men and women met in the home of S.E. Coltrane for the purpose of organizing a missionary Baptist church. The meeting was opened with the song, “Amazing Grace” and prayer was led by R.L. Pruett. The advisability of establishing a church was agreed upon and Fair View Baptist was chosen as the name.
There were thirteen original charter members. Joan Snyder is our only charter member still living and attends when able. Many of us fondly call her “Mama Joan.”
On April 7, 1940 the church met in their new building for the first time at 300 Pisgah Church Road. The name of the church was changed to Fair Grove Baptist Church and then later changed to Gospel Baptist Church.
In 1965 the church voted unanimously to build a new church building which was completed in 1966.
The present pastor, Paul Luttrell followed God’s leading and came to Gospel Baptist Church in August of 1983 as the interim pastor and then as pastor in January 1984. Our Lord has blessed wonderfully in many ways.
In 1994, Harlie Miller was appointed as our youth pastor, then the assistant to the pastor and later, the assistant pastor.
Our average attendance grew from about 50 in 1983 to 233 in August 2005. Since we were outgrowing our facility, we began to pray and seek the Lord’s will about future expansion. The Lord answered our prayers and provided a buyer for our property on Pisgah Church Road for the price that we were praying. The Lord led us to our present location on North Church Street and then saw to it that the new building was completed in the time frame that was given by the purchaser, which all the experts firmly believed would be impossible. We held our first service in the new location at 5945 North Church Street in September of 2005 with a first day attendance of 440.
Since we moved to the new facility, we started our Gospel Afterschool Program (G.A.P.) which began in August 2007, led by Kristy Hazelwood and assistant Pam Anderson. The program was extended to include the G.A.P. summer ministry in 2008. This ministry has proved to be a blessing to the families of the community and well as our own congregation, with many professions of faith. Gregg Smith was added as the pastoral assistant in 2011 and became the Director of Operations in 2018. The Lord brought Jason Wilson to us in 2015 as Youth and Worship pastor. JT Mahaffey is our part time choir director. Kristy Hazelwood became our part-time Children’s Ministry Director in 2018. Our part-time nursery director is Tracy Brown. Our custodial team includes part-time staff Cindy Hilton & Bekah Thompson.
The Pastors of GBC have included Pastors: Riddle, Heatherly, Ennis, Smith, Routh, Dillon, Donovant, Wilson, Ross, King, and Luttrell.
We thank the Lord for His continued blessings upon our church through the years!
Look on Facebook for more church family pictures of Homecomings and old fashioned days.